Thursday, October 23, 2008

Good tango practice despite...

What is up with the ultra slippery floors at some tango venues? Martin and I practiced Tuesday night in Palo Alto, but it was almost like a game of trying to dance without going splat on the floor. It was so slippery, that when we took a break, it was almost amusing watching people step onto their foot and then watch it slide an additional 2-3 inches back hehe. Looked like people were almost ice skating! My feet were going into overtime trying to use the bottom of my foot muscles to try in vain to grip the non-cooperative floor. Anyway, we still got to work on some moves and technique. I have been working on my embrace this week, specifically my right arm with the right amount of resistance. Not too much... not too little. It is always dynamic though, although mine is often fixed and needs to be more dynamic. I guess it's something you begin to feel in time... when it should be more and when it should be less. It really changes the dancing though, and I am liking how much more glue-ey and sticky the dancing can be when utilizing this. You really feel each other and can push off each other and it's actually more fun and interactive seeming. Leslie played more tango songs than usual which was nice, but seriously, how can people dance on that kind of a slippery/slidey floor? Towards the end of the night I changed into my street shoes with rubber soles and danced a few songs in those. Now those shoes gripped the floor and worked out alright for the rest of the night, although didn't rotate and turn as much as my tango shoes.

No comments: