Friday, November 7, 2008

Less is More

I have been dancing a little less lately, but I seem to be developing into my own right now, and it is exciting! Since a week or two ago I have been doing more and more embellishments. I think I go a little crazy at practicas because that's where one should practice them. I think I will be a little more conservate in milongas - but we'll see! It is hard because the follow has to be timed so precisely right in order to know if I can do an embellishment and for how long I can do it. And then sometimes to have it feel seamless to my partner as if I'm not doing anything, although at times I feel like I should let my partner feel that I am doing a little something. I remember the line from Office Space, where Jennifer Aniston is wearing those buttons as pieces of "flare" and then she gets upset and sticks up her middle fingers to her boss, and says "This is me expressing myself!" Well, I feel the same, This is me expressing myself, but not in such a crude way. Last night I found myself doing even newer strange embellishments, and it was kind of like, what are my feet doing? ... Well... ok, sure. I got a compliment after practica though that someone enjoyed watching me dance, and really liked my footwork, so that made me happy. Another person said they really enjoyed watching my footwork at milonga last Sunday as well. Anyway, no new footage in the last few weeks so I have little idea of how I actually look since I have not looked in a mirror or seen myself on tape. My confidence is getting stronger, and I think once I hit my one-year mark for tango dancing I will feel worlds of difference.

No comments: