Monday, November 24, 2008

Tango Performance Debut!

Last night I had the honor of being a guest violinist with Marcelo Puig and Bocha Lopez at Studio Gracia's milonga. We kind of just threw it together last minute so I was incredibly nervous, wishing there'd been more time to prepare, but it actually went really well and I might actually do something like that again! Many thanks to all my friends who showed up to support me (even some non-tango friends!) It was my first time at Studio Gracia and I had a good time. I even took Negracha and Diego's intermediate class on Milonga traspie, which was a lot of fun. And evidentally Studio Gracia always is decked out with food and drinks so no one will ever go hungry! There were empanadas, quiche, croissants, watermelon, and lots more throughout the night. I got a lot of dancing in too which was fun, and helped keep me warm when my fingers started getting cold before playing violin. I have video footage of Negracha and Diego's performances, but I'll post that another night.

Lots to remember from tango tonight: continuing to rotate/turn and not stop in the middle even if the leader stops, keeping my right shoulder forward, continuing my follow even during an embellishment or embellishments (before I think I would stay static until I was done with my embellishment and then move with the leader but I need to continuously move with the lead throughout my embellishment), and of course the omnipresent DELAY. Often it seems the more I learn, the more I see how much more there is still to learn! But it's great, powerful stuff. What was life like before tango was in it?

No comments: