Sunday, August 3, 2008

Floors, Music, and Pizza

Friday's milonga at Palo Alto was small, but I got to dance with several good dancers. Besides Martin, I really enjoyed dancing some tandas with F and V. You know, the floor at Palo Alto is my all-time favorite floor. Feeling it below my feet feels fantastic... buttery but not slippery. Alberto's floor will be redone and expanded in a week or two so hopefully it will be comparable as well. I first started noticing people's dancing styles Friday. While I can't really categorize them into definitive categories yet, I am now becoming aware of the differences. It doesn't necessarily mean that some people aren't good dancers, it just might not be the style of dancing that I gravitate towards (not talking about Nuevo versus Salon, but within each of those). Anyway, new food for thought for myself...

Yesterday I had a trio gig at Mission Santa Clara for a wedding ceremony which went well. We get the craziest requests sometimes, and for this one, they wanted Consider Yourself from the musical Oliver as the recessional song. The arrangement I did sounded good, but the first time we all sight-read it a couple weeks ago, we could barely contain ourselves from bursting out laughing just thinking of them walking down the church aisle to this!

My favorite new pizza place is called Via Mia. They are very generous with their toppings, and my latest favorite combo is zucchini, mushroom, and garlic.

Spent the afternoon at the Palo Alto Obon Festival where I saw Martin's mom perform Koto, Samisen with a group. I stayed and visited with my parents there later over dinner. Usually we go to both the Palo Alto and Mountain View Obon festivals every summer, but this was the only one I was able to get to this year. Well time to get ready for the Mountain View milonga at Alberto's!

No comments: