Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pulled in Different Directions

I feel like I have been living multiple lives: the work one, the music one, the tango one. Of course, my music group knows about tango and vice-versa, and work knows about both hobbies. I am still trying to recover from burn-out, but there doesn't seem to be much time. Almost 7 days a week include full days and nights of either work, music, or tango, and sometimes I barely have time to get to the mundane things. I'm still trying to do it all though and enjoy what I can.

Martin and I had a great practice Thursday at Starlite, compared to our iffy practice Tuesday at Bechtel. I think a large part of it has to do with the floor, the music, the people, and all of that which creates the atmosphere. Bechtel is a rather small floor, feeling confined with a different caliber of dancers and some music that is not even tango music. Starlite has a huge really nice floor, where I feel like Martin and I can be more ourselves, whether it be the small intimate nuances of moves, or the larger more energetic movements. Martin has been calling me his tango soulmate from very early on and I'm trying to live up to that expectation. At the beginning I wasn't so sure, having only danced 1 1/2 months before he tried to sell me on becoming one of his tango partners saying he's never felt a stronger natural connection before with anyone. I felt like I had entered a new arena and wasn't sure I was cut out for it (ignorance is bliss!). But just last week he was commenting on how he knew I'd be good when he met and danced with me, but he didn't know I'd be this good. He also said last week that my follow is "phenomenal" :)

Went straight from work last night to a quartet rehearsal where we played music until midnight. It was fun and I'm so lucky to be part of such a fantastic group of peeps! 2 bottles of wine later we had accomplished a small chunk of music we'd wanted to play through and determine if we could play them at future gigs, if we could play them with a little more practice, or if they were no's. A big treat was playing through Coldplay's Viva La Vida that she had just re-arranged a couple days ago. It was awesome and we'll definitely play it at our next Byington gig in August. Have a quartet gig in Foster City in a few hours. Hope to get some r&r tonight!

Listening to: Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees

No comments: