Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Still Recovering

I'm still recovery from Tango Week. Not so much my feet anymore, but I've just been burnt out the last couple weeks with tango, work, and music. Friday night was a strange night at Tarragon milonga. I noted that G was correct in what she stated Thursday night at Denny's that it's mostly couples that just dance with themselves. I got a few tandas in before Martin showed up 2 hours later, and then we were guilty of dancing the entire night together. Sunday's milonga at Alberto's turned into a good mlionga, but it seems people like to arrive fashionably late! We got there almost an hour after it opened and it was quite dead. Martin got to dance with around 5 followers he wanted to so he had a good night. It's harder for followers cuz you have to wait to be asked, however I got several tandas in with F, and one each with R, V, and a few others.

It was a very busy weekend for my quartet. We had a hugely successful 2nd of three gigs at Byington's Al Fresco Thursday concerts and got a good response as well as booking a November wedding gig on the spot. That was three hours of playing. Saturday we had 2 gigs for weddings at a private residence in Aptos and then at Clos La Chance winery in San Martin. They had yummy wines (I liked their Chardonnay over their Sauvingon Blanc, while Byington's I liked their SB over their Chard). From the time I left home till when I returned was around 9 hours so a full day! Sunday, we had our biggest gig ever for 4 1/2 hours, which at first we were excited for, but by the end, we were all saying how we can't ever do this much gigging in a weekend again. It was at Mountain Winery though and it was gorgeous. I got home, did hours of cleaning, and then we dragged ourselves to Albertos for a nice ending to a long weekend.

I started getting into the zone once with Martin and once with V Sunday night but didn't know what it was until later when I talked to Martin about it so I tried to shake it loose so I could get back to concentrating while I was dancing. This also happened with Martin during practica last night. If it happens again I'll try to go with it and see what happens although it's a weird feeling since I am usually always very conscious and focused while I'm dancing. This week we go back to our regular practice schedule of Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights, and I'll be trying to catchup on sleep still.

No comments: